As I reach my late teenage years, I would like to write an imaginary letter to my 12 year old who is just about to enter his teen-life. So here it goes-
Hi. This is the 16- year- old Himanaya from the future. Yeah, I know your life is going great. You have a close group of good friends, get good grades and are doing well in sports too. But let me tell, you’re in for a wild ride in the future. Let me sum it up for you-
1.Many of your friends would leave school and you would reminisce them a lot. You would barely have any friends (maybe 1-2) who were there with you since day one. But don’t worry, you will make a ton of new friends who are equally as good if not better. Also, 2 of your best friends will still be your best mates.
2.You love playing table tennis and are proud to be a part of the school team. But let me tell you, you would leave this sport and shift to Basketball and enjoy playing that much more. A bit difficult to digest since you once willingly left the basketball club once but it’s the truth. Also, you would stop playing cricket in the park in front of your house as none of your colony friends would come to play anymore. Instead, you will have a proper basketball stand at your house.
3. Your favourite tennis player, Rafael Nadal would win many more slams but would get injured many times as well. Your favourite cricketer M.S. Dhoni is still playing and is still winning games for India. Your favourite cager Kawhi Leonard has left the Spurs and helped the Raptors reach the finals.
4. A game named Fortnite would have you addicted and believe it or not, you would grow to hate your then favourite game- Clash of Clans. Moreover, remember when you said that you don’t want a personal phone until you finish class 12? Well that’s a blatant lie as you would ask and get a phone in grade 9 itself.
5. You would end up taking commerce instead of your then-favourite subject- Science. Your ambition of becoming a scientist would change to that of becoming an economist.
6. You wouldn’t care about marks anymore and would even give an exam without preparing for it. You would realise how foolish you were caring about marks so much.
7. You would end up becoming the coordinator of your school magazine and writing a story in a book. Moreover you would start writing a blog. Writing would become your passion!!
8. Believe it or not, you would end up liking English songs more than Hindi songs. You would still be a movie buff.
9. Your hobby of reading would remain but the amount of novels you would read won’t be much.
10. You would become much more confident than you were. You would still talk less in school but would stand up for yourself whenever the need be.
11.There would be really sad times but you will cope up with it. Some people will hate you and compare you with others but there would be no use thinking about them and their nonsense talks.
12.You will really mature and end up realising that social media is a way for most people to show-off and waste time. You would stop comparing yourself to others and become more content with yourself.
13. You’d be involved in two motor accidents. You would escape without injuries but would start appreciating life more. You will also realise how lucky you are as compared to the rest of the world in terms of having materialistic comforts and luxuries, a loving and caring family, and a fairly smooth life
14.The person you would end up talking to the most is going to be a huge surprise and never in your wildest dream would you think that this would happen!
Like it or not, a huge adventure awaits you!