As 2019 heads to a close, I have been thinking about how the year panned out and I came to the conclusion that it was one full of surprises(good and bad), love and hate, and full of moments that can never be forgotten. In short, the year was quite eventful and interesting, to say the least 🙂
- First of all, I started writing this blog!! And it came out to be my savior whenever I needed to vent out my feelings on whatever topic it may be. Also, I started writing poetry all thanks to this platform. 31 January 2019, the date of my first post and also the date I would never forget in my life. 50 posts aren’t bad in 10 months and I’m quite proud of myself for that. Also, to those people who have followed the blog since the start, I have a special place in my heart for you all!
- Made a lot of memories with some of my best friends playing video games(I would be lying if I said if I wasn’t addicted to Fortnite) and talking nonsense till 3 AM every day just before my Class X Board Examinations(Apparently a big deal here in India). Managed a decent grade in the same despite all of this so-called time wastage
- A special mention for the special birthday surprise from my closest buddies. It was one hell of a birthday!!
- Made an awesome friend who has always supported me ever since. Also, I made some confidants who were once not so loving towards me <3.
- I went to Yellowstone National Park and saw the geysers that I read about so much in textbooks. The park’s attractions like The Old Faithful, The Caldera, and the Mammoth Hot Springs were quite a spectacle and were totally different from the usual tourist spots. Also visited Toronto just around the time the Raptors won. Let’s just say that the city was crazy during this time.
- I wrote a book!! Well, a single story which is going to be published in a book and it was an interesting experience! Not to forget the complications that I had to go through to change some part of the story due to a reason (SECRET)
- Took up Commerce as my main subject(after a lot of deliberation) in class 11 and to be honest, I could have taken up Psychology but am still satisfied with my decision. (Economics is love)
- Learnt some new skills unknowingly. Robotics, editing and carrying out surveys being some of them. Consistently wrote for the school magazine. Interesting fact-Around half of the articles that I had published were taken from this blog. But I lost all the basketball tournaments in which I participated. *Sobbing*
- I visited Sikkim, a small state in India and had some different experiences there. River rafting and hiking to name a few. Also experiences what it was like to have difficulty in breathing due to high altitude!! I also went to a hill station with my school-mates and made unforgettable memories. (3 AM Chit chat and playing cards)
- Maintained my old habits. I’m still an overthinker, still sensitive to emotions and still an introvert. Old habits die hard. I did get more vigilant, became more confident and tried to give all of my love and affection to all the people I like and care for.
If you were a part of my life this year in some way or the other, be it a reader and supporter of the blog or my best friend, I love you all. Let’s kill the next year and the decade together !!
Over and Out!!!
We are currently living in a world where having a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription is a must. You can instantly become “cool” if you have watched F.R.I.E.N.D.S or Game of Thrones. In schools, web series and stand-up comedy specials occupy a considerable portion of children’s conversation. Students are on their phone viewing memes the whole day. We basically are living for consuming content most of the time and when we are not, we are talking about the content that we have consumed.
If I am being honest, I myself was a big consumer of content. I watched web series, youtube videos and vlogs, stand-up comedy and what not. For a good amount of time, the first thing I used to do after coming back from school was to open my phone and start watching videos of my favourite vlogger, Casey Neistat. Moreover, I also used to watch the same movie again and again. I have watched many movies such as 3 Idiots, Taare Zameen Par, Air Force One multiple times. Added to that I have watched the entire series of the show “House M.D.” which consists of 8 seasons twice! To say the least, I am not quite happy with what I have done. It might have seemed cool watching hours of content everyday but now I realise what tomfoolery I have done.I still watch content but it it has gone down if we compare it to the amount I used to watch 3 months ago.I have now started trying to devote more of my time towards more productive things. I have started reading more novels, writing articles and of course recently I have started posting on my blog regularly. I believe watching and consuming content is an addiction and it is a bad one and is not limited to me. I think at least 70% of my schoolmates are addicted to gobbling up content.
I am not at all saying that we should not watch stand-ups or movies. I agree that they are an excellent source of entertainment and pleasure(Pleasure and entertainment too are components of life!). But the problem arises when swallowing up content is what we start doing day and night.(This is what happened to me some time ago)We think nothing but of watching the latest videos and movies.Everything else takes a backseat be it studying, playing some sport or socialising with people.I obviously have no right to talk about socialising for I barely start any conversations!However the topic regarding socialising is better to be left for another day.
Now is reading novels and books also consuming content? Of course it is!Obviously its great to read books for it does improve your language skills and vocabulary. However reading books without doing anything else the entire day is harmful too. You won’t be able to do anything productive if you keep on consuming content the entire day be it even reading books. You may argue if it is improving your langauge what’s wrong in reading novels the entire day.(This is what I thought when I became addicted to reading.Going off topic but my personal favourite book series is the Percy Jackson Series and I used to love the Secret Seven series when i was younger ).Coming back to the topic, my answer to that is if you keep reading books the entire day, when will you have time to showcase the skills you have acquired through reading?
So, don’t consume content excessively.I’ve learnt this the hard way for I wasted some months of my life and I hope I act as an example for you to stop consuming material.
Over and Out.